Application for 2021-2022 Senior Elementary School and High School Transportation
Student Transportation Services of Thunder Bay (STSTB) develops and administers the provision of safe, efficient and cost effective transportation for eligible students of Lakehead District School Board, Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board and Conseil scolaire de district catholique des Aurores boréales. In an ongoing effort to address increasing costs while still providing safe, reliable transportation for eligible students, STSTB regularly evaluates existing routes, practices and policies to maximize efficiencies and minimize costs.
Students attending either senior elementary schools or secondary schools for the 2021-2022 school year in Thunder Bay are required to register for school bus transportation. Those entering either grade 7 or 8 at a Senior Elementary School and those entering any grade at a high school and who reside more than 1.6 km from their board-designated school can request school bus transportation through the link provided at the bottom of this page. Applications must be received by April 30, 2021 in order to be included in preparing routes for next year.
Students enrolled in the following schools for September 2021 are required to register for school bus transportation by April 30, 2021:
Lakehead District School Board schools:
Hammarskjöld High School
Westgate Collegiate & Vocational Institute
Superior Collegiate & Vocational Institute
Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board schools:
Bishop E.Q. Jennings Senior Elementary School
Bishop Gallagher Senior Elementary School
Pope John Paul II Senior Elementary School
St. Ignatius High School
St. Patrick High School
Conseil scolaire de district catholique des Aurores boréales:
École catholique de La Vérendrye
École secondaire catholique de La Vérendrye
- Senior Elementary school and Secondary school students must reside greater than 1.6 kilometers away from their board-designated school to qualify for busing. Check eligibility for transportation here.
- School bus stops are farther away for senior elementary and secondary school students – students are expected to walk up to 800 meters to access a bus stop in residential areas.
- Eligibility is determined solely by STSTB’s software. The current year's eligibility tool can be found here.
- A student whom chooses to register at a school other than his/her Board designated school, transportation will not be provided.
- Assigned students who do not ride the bus at least once in any 20 consecutive school day periods are subject to removal from busing, and must reapply in order to be reinstated.
- Individual student transportation information for all returning students in the 2021-2022 school year will only be available online through the “Parent Portal” found on: www.ststb.ca by the end of June 2021. An announcement will be made when this information is available.
Transportation for all other grades and schools
If you have registered a NEW JK student who is starting school in September 2021, transportation will be set up based on what you indicated on the registration form. If you need to make any changes between now and September, please contact the school where you registered.
For students currently in JK through grade 5 at TBCDSB and CSDCAB schools and JK through 7 at LDSB schools, no application for transportation is required for next year if there will be no changes from their current transportation status. Any transportation changes for these students for September 2021 should be directed through the school office.